|In addition to the University’s required application materials, applicants should review the information below for additional expectations or application requirements.
Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA)
The MHA prepares students wishing to pursue management careers in health systems, hospitals, consulting firms, managed care organizations, insurance firms, non-governmental organizations, medical group practices, government agencies and other settings.
Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH)
The MSPH prepares students for careers in health systems research, and health policy analysis and evaluation at local, state, federal, and international levels as well as in the private sector.
Statement of Purpose (distance and master’s)
Please upload a two page (double spaced) statement addressing the following:
- How will this degree program at UNC-CH contribute to your projected career?
- What is your experience working in teams and what can you contribute to a team?
- How will your lived experiences and strengths contribute to a positive learning environment? Please provide any additional information that will help us to evaluate your application.
Plans for Graduate Study Page (distance and master’s) December 12, 2023: Priority Deadline
Area(s) of Interest: Please select up to two areas of interest to you (via the Areas of Interest/Specialization drop-down box within your application).
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) November 14, 2023: Priority Deadline
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program looks for students with an outstanding academic record, innovative thinking, and evidence of a focus in research interests on health services research and health policy.
Statement of Purpose
Upload a brief essay (up to 4 pages in length) that addresses the issues listed below. Use this statement to provide the Admissions Committee with detailed information relevant to your application that is not otherwise available.
- Why do you wish to study health policy and/or health services research?
- Please describe any previous research experience you have had.
- Which of our concentration areas is the closest match for your research approach and interests? Describe how the selected concentration focus will fit into your projected career plans. (Please see Plans for Graduate Study Page requirements below)
- Discuss the way in which your past education, research and/or work experience(s) will contribute to your proposed studies at UNC.
- Explain how your academic background, strengths, and lived experiences might: (1) contribute to health services/ health policy research and/ or (2) distinguish you from other applicants. Indicate faculty members in the Department who most closely align with your interests. Be specific about the areas of overlap in interest.
Plans for Graduate Study Page
Area(s) of Interest: Please select your primary and secondary concentration areas via the Areas of Interest/Specialization drop-down box within your application. Please note that this selection is essential in facilitating a match with an advisor, so careful consideration of a concentration is strongly encouraged. Referring to the research approach and required courses in each concentration is strongly encouraged before making a selection. Selecting more than two concentration areas is not required or encouraged.
Doctor of Public Health (DrPH)
The Program seeks mid to senior career individuals working full-time in the U.S. or internationally with substantial leadership responsibilities in communities, organizations and institutions that are focused on health..
Statement of Purpose
Essay. Upload an essay (single-spaced and no more than 5 pages) that addresses the following questions:
- Why are you applying to this DrPH program? Explain what you hope to gain from the program.
- Explain how you think the DrPH program will help you become a more effective leader that can help you improve the health of the public.
- What are your career goals?
- How will your lived experiences and strengths contribute to a positive learning environment? Describe what you consider to be your most significant professional leadership accomplishment. (Please describe the role you played, and how this helped to improve the health of a population. Please note: We are interested in examples where you showed leadership, such as when you identified a problem and marshalled the people and resources to address the problem.
- Please describe your management and leadership experience with respect to the numbers and types of persons who have reported to you at different points in your career and a bit about your leadership style.
- Describe your biggest disappointment or failure in your work or career so far. What did you learn or how did you overcome this challenge?
- Tell us about risks you’ve taken in your work or career.
- Why do you care about the public’s health?
*Consultation with the Director of Graduate Admissions will be required in order to be considered for admission in any semester other than Fall.